By Amanda McBride/Chamber of Commerce
Five projects have been awarded funding through the 2017 First Impressions Grant program. Over $46,000 will be spent to stimulate community improvement in Choctaw County. Of that investment, the Choctaw County Chamber of Commerce will invest over $15,000 to help enhance Choctaw County and make it more beautiful. The Choctaw County Chamber of Commerce is proud to sponsor this program.
Eligible grant applicants included, but were not limited to, non-profit, school or religious organizations, civic and veterans’ groups and sub-divisions of the government of Mississippi.
The maximum grant awarded is $3,300 each and the applicant must provide a minimum of 30 percent matching funds of the total cost of the project. The First Impressions Grants are reimbursement grants. All projects must be completed by January 5, 2018.
Projects considered through the First Impressions Grant program include but are not limited to: community beautification/enhancement projects, building repair/renovation and landscaping enhancements of community facilities, community garden, park or playground projects or community cleanup initiatives.
Projects awarded this year are:
– Ackerman Church of God – The grant will help purchase commercial grade playground equipment, swings and a fence that will be on the church property.
– French Camp Community Club – The grant will help purchase lighting and landscaping that will be installed around a walking track at French Camp Elementary School.
– French Camp Historic Preservation – The grant will help purchase trees, planters and benches that will be placed in downtown French Camp.
– Spay Panhandle Community Organization –The grant will help purchase benches, a bleacher and landscaping to help enhance the community park.
– Town of Ackerman – The grant will help purchase additional Town of Ackerman banners to hang on light poles on Highway 15 in the Town of Ackerman.