From press reports
Rainwater Observatory will be offering a free public program called “JUPITER: Giant of the Solar System”. This presentation will be presented on Friday, May 12, 2017, starting at 7 p.m.
This live PowerPoint presentation explores the giant planet Jupiter, one of the most intriguing and recognizable planets in the solar system. It is filled with mystery, legend and a wealth of scientific discovery. The program will take us on a journey through this amazing planet and reveal some of the latest discoveries and most breathtaking imagery ever recorded in human history. We will also learn more about the numerous other planets like Jupiter that have been discovered orbiting other stars in our galaxy. Weather permitting, we will take a look at Jupiter through one of our powerful telescopes!
After the presentation, weather permitting, an observing session will be held using some of Rainwater’s collection of powerful telescopes. The planetarium can be used if the outdoor observing is clouded out. Rainwater Observatory and Planetarium is located one mile east of the Natchez Trace Parkway off MS Highway 413 near the village of French Camp in Mississippi. Come early and enjoy Steak Night at the Council House Café, another support ministry of French Camp Academy.
“His Little Feet” visit Rainwater Observatory
They had a very unusual group visit here at Rainwater Observatory recently! The international touring choir called “His Little Feet” performed here at French Camp. The kids are orphaned and from all over the world.
As part of their visit I did a program for them in the planetarium and lecture hall. After my planetarium program the kids began to sing the song, “How Great Is Our God” in the dark under the planetarium stars!
It was totally unexpected and a very moving experience. I could hardly speak and was choked up with emotion afterwards. Wow!
Rainwater Observatory and Planetarium is an educational ministry of French Camp Academy. This unique facility offers a window into the splendor of the heavens that few around the country or even the world can offer. We provide a variety of programs designed for different groups and organizations including universities, schools, seniors, youth, scouting, civic, churches and other faith based organizations.
For more information on these and other programs visit Rainwater Observatory at: www.rainwaterobservatory.org or call us at: 662-547-7283.
Rainwater Observatory Calendar of Upcoming Events
- May 12, 2017: Monthly Public Program
- May 20-21, 2017: Scout Group, Jackson
- June 3, 2017: Lollars Grove Baptist Church, Eupora
- June 9, 2017: Monthly Public Program
- July 14, 2017: Monthly Public Program
- July 20-22, 2017: Baystreet Presbyterian Volunteer Group, Hattiesburg
- August 11, 2017: Monthly Public Program
- August 15, 2017: Carthage Leake Library, Carthage
- September 8, 2017: Monthly Public Program
- October 13, 2017: Monthly Public Program
- October 17, 2017: Meridian Community College, Meridian
- November 10, 2017: Monthly Public Program
- December 8, 2017: Monthly Public Program
- January 30, 2018: Meridian Community College, Meridian.