By Daniel Brunty
The Choctaw Plaindealer
The Choctaw County School Board held their regular June meeting on June 9 at the Central Office.
Not attending this meeting was board member Clinton Huffman. Board member Laura Gibbs attended the meeting via teleconference.
After an invocation led by Board President Mike Thomas, the board adopted the agenda and approved the minutes from last month’s meetings (May 12 & 14).
The first discussion of the night was the financial reports, which were approved unanimously. Next, the board approved summer maintenance program which were discussed in their May 12 meeting. The board then reviewed revisions to Board Policy IHA and IHE, to be presented again in July. This will allow time for each board member to familiarize themselves with the revisions before the July meeting.
The next discussion was for propane bids. Superintendent Glen beard informed the board members that Fair Propane had the lowest bid at 1.34 per gallon, and he recommended they make a motion to accept their proposal. A motion was made and it passed unanimously.
Bank bids were next on the agenda. The board opened and approved the single bank bid from Regions Bank. The bid stated the district would earn 0.10 percent on CDs per year.
The final bids of the meeting were for Hunting & Fishing regarding 16th section land. The board discussed all three bids and approved all.
The School Board approved the following during the consent agenda:
- Consent Agenda
- Approved Workshop/Conference Requests.
- Glen Blaine to Autism Institute at the Clyde Muse Center on June 25-26, 2014.
- Glen Blaine to the School Inclusion Workshop at the Atlanta Marriott Century on July 10-11, 2014.
- Cheryl Doss to Algebra I Boot camp in Oxford, MS on July 30, 2014.
- Ronda Huffman to MASS in Biloxi, MS on July 13-18, 2014.
- Maureen Power to the Annual School Inclusion Workshop at the Emory Autism Center on July 9-11, 2014.
- Maureen Power to Autism Institute in Pearl, MS on June 25-26, 2014.
- Judy Black to State Conference in Jackson, MS on July 8-10, 2014.
- Francesca McGee to the MSIS Data Conference on July 22-23, in Biloxi, MS.
- Sue Tarver to the MMEA/ACDA Convention in Hattiesburg, MS on April 3-5, 2014.
- Dorothy Murphy to ACTE in Pearl, MS on July 28-29, 2014.
- Katrina Carlisle to SAM 7 New User Training in Ridgeland, MS on June 4, 2014
- Kimberly Watson to the University of Mississippi Advanced Placement on July 14-18, 2014.
- Approved field trip/off campus activity requests.
- CCHS- Boys Basketball to 1 day basketball camp in Tuscaloosa, AL on June 20, 2014.
- Approved Student Handbook for the 2014-2015 SY.
- Approved Teacher Handbook for the 2014-2015 SY.
- Approved the Procurement Plan for Child Nutrition 2014-2015.
- Approved Curt Spark’s resignation letter.
- Shaston Coleman resignation from Assistant High School Football Coaching position and 8th Grade Assistant Football Coaching position.
- Approved recommendation of Clark Pullen as a Math Teacher at CCHS pending clear fingerprint, background, and certification of employment.
- Approved recommendation of Akeba Shumaker as a Special Education teacher at CCHS pending clear fingerprints, background, and certification of employment.
- Approved recommendation of Lashara Parish as Custodian at FCE for 2014-2015 SY pending clear background, fingerprinting, and paperwork.
- Approved recommendation of Andrea Gilmore as a Non-Certified Assistant Teacher at FCE pending fingerprint, background, and completion of paperwork.
- Approved recommendation of Valarie Coleman as a First Grade Assistant Teacher at FCE pending clear fingerprint, background, and paperwork.
- Approved transfer form for Lauren Chambley at AES.
- Approved recommendation of Kimberly Peterson as a SLP for AES pending clear fingerprint, background, and verification of prior experience.
- Approved recommendation of Polly Fulford for SLP at AES pending clear fingerprint, background, and verification of prior experience.
- Approved recommendation of Shunn Fraizer as an Assistant Teacher at the Alternative School pending paperwork.
- Approve recommendation of Marianne Beals as JH Cheerleader Sponsor.
- Approved transfer forms for Mr. Lance Thomas and Cyrena Shows.
- Approved licensure applications for Deborah Bruister and Amy Maxwell.
- Approved modification to Rachel McCool’s salary for the 2014-2015 SY.
- Approved modification to Bethany Busby’s salary for the 2014-2015 SY.
- Approved maternity leave for Ms. Karla Raines
- Approved EMCED Membership Contract for the 2014-2015 SY.
- Approved renewal of Insurance policy from Team Assure (name change at the Company from Planned Benefit Services).
- Approved copier bids.
- Approved request to return the performance bond to B&G Wood INC. for the timber sale on 16-17-11.
- Approved fundraiser requests for beginning of the school year.
- Approved beginning of the year orders and items that do not require a purchase order.
- Approved the use of Wal-Mart, Lowe’s, and SAM’s Club cards for the purchase of instructional supplies and/or concessions.
- Approved the authorization of the Superintendent to expend budgeted travel expense funds and other expense funds provided for in said budget in the manner provided by law.
- Approved request from Superintendent to have it spread upon the minutes that he grants permission for Kenneth Clark, Business Manager, and Dr. Michelle Larabee, Assistant Superintendent, to use his signature stamp in case of an emergency.
- Approved recommendation to allow Chris McIntire to proceed with the demolition of the building at FCE.
- Approved purchase request for Achieve 3000 for FCA to be paid out of Title Funds.
- Approved request by MSFC to reject the Timber Bid for 16-17-11 for 56 acres.
The board approved the following in the financial agenda:
- Request to transfer 16th Section interest Pro-rata shared revenue fund.
- Request 16th Section transfer to cover summer maintenance.
- Approved docket of claims
- Absentee report
- Substitute report
- Request for fixed asset disposal.
The Choctaw County School Board will hold their next meeting on July 14, 2014 at the Central Office.