By Daniel Brunty
The Choctaw Plaindealer
The Ackerman Board of Aldermen hosted a public hearing regarding the town applying for a CAP Loan during their regularly scheduled meeting on April 1.
The purpose of the public hearing was to receive comments from the general public about the Town of Ackerman applying for a $400,000 CAP Loan to be matched with other funds to build a new water treatment clearwell.
The aldermen asked did anyone want to speak on the matter during the hearing. After receiving no replies, the board closed the hearing and continued to proceed into their regular meeting.
The board then met with Carol Cobb regarding a barn on Gambrell Street. The board stated they had been receiving complaints about the structure because it is a safety hazard. Cobb informed the board members that she was in the process of tearing down the barn, and asked the board to give her some time to do so.
The board informed Cobb that as long as she was in the process of removing the barn, there would be no timetable on when to have the project completed. Cobb then exited the meeting.
Next, the board discussed the addition of a special assessment to the Shaw Property on 72 Keller Street. A motion was made to add the special assessment for $1,350 for demolishing the house at this address. The motion was approved.
The board also made their selections for MML Voting Delegate and Alternates. The board made a motion to make Carl Phelps the MML Voting Delegate, 1st alternate Billy Ganaan, and 2nd alternate Tommy Curtis. The motion was approved.
The board also discussed the issue of stray dogs in the town. The board discussed this issue with Police Chief Kevin Stark, who suggested that the ordinance in place now may need to be reviewed to see if any changes can be made. The board members agreed to let Stark review the ordinance and meet with the board again to discuss his findings.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a vote on CAP Loan to MDA in the amount of $400,000
- Approved agenda
- Approved minutes
- Approved accounts
- Approved 2014 CDBG Grant Application Contract with Sample, Hicks, and Assoc.
- Approved resolution authorizing the Town of Ackerman to file a grant with the State under the CDBG program
- Approved match resolution: The Town of Ackerman will match $400,000 (CAP Loan) and $37,225 (Local)
- Approved the hiring of Ben Chambers as a part-time police officer with the Ackerman Police Dept.
- Approved the request of Police Chief Kevin Stark to attend the MS Assoc. of Chiefs of Police 2014 Summer Educ. Conference in Biloxi from June 16-20.
- Approved interlocal agreement between the Sheriff’s Dept. and Police Dept.
The next regularly scheduled Board of Aldermen meeting will be June 36 at 6 p.m. at Town Hall. The board meets the first Tuesday of every month.