By Amanda McBride
The Choctaw Plaindealer
Insurance was the main topic of discussion the April 14 meeting of the Choctaw County Board of Supervisors. Mike Hughes, of Weaver Insurance, presented the renewal quotes for the county’s property and casualty insurance coverage.
Hughes gave quotes from three companies: Zurich approximately $161,000, Travelers approximately $161,652 and Trident approximately $146,238. Derrick Surrette, executive director of the Mississippi Association of Supervisors, presented a quote from the new MAS Insurance Trust. He explained that the MASIT is a new insurance trust that the association is now offering to member counties for property and casualty insurance.
The supervisors, Surrette and Hughes discussed the policy, quote and the differences in the four presented policies. Choctaw County quote from MASIT is $144,957. The main difference discussed is that the MASIT policy is a blanket policy that includes replacement of facilities such as the courthouse instead of functional replacement as in the policies that Hughes presented. The MASIT policy also includes terrorism coverage and the law enforcement liability insurance. Surrette said that if the county approved the MASIT policy, that Hughes would still be the agent of record and will receive his commission on the policy.
After more discussion, the board approved the MASIT policy for their property and casualty insurance.
Before approving that quote, the board approved to rescind their previous approval of the law enforcement liability renewal that Hughes presented in the previous board meeting.
The supervisors also approved the Blue Cross Blue Shield renewal quote from Hughes on the county’s health insurance. The board approved Option 1 which is a $5,000 deductible with $6,000 out of pocket maximum, with a gap plan. Also, county employees will begin paying $20 a month, effective June 1, for insurance.
The Board of Supervisors also approved:
- To submit the annual application for the non-competitive Solid Waste law enforcement officer grant.
- To acknowledge the Mississippi Department of Health jail inspection.
- An invoice from Crowder Engineering on the annual state aid bridge inspection for $20,080. The county will pay the invoice after receiving the funds from state aid.
- To recognize the constables annual financial statements and to spread it on the minutes. -Monthly Solid Waste assessments and deletions.
- Collateral security agreement with Renasant Bank. -16th section lease renewal for George Cork. -Tax assessor request to purchase deposit slips for $23.
- Petition for reduction in tax assessment from William Presley.
The next Board of Supervisor meeting will be Wednesday, April 30 at 9 a.m. at the courthouse.