Submitted by C.J. Johnson
On Sunday, June 9, 2013 the descendants of Colonel John Weir and his brother James invited friends, family, and interested parties to join them in dedicating the new Historical Marker, which recognizes the 1878 home of Colonel John Weir, located in Weir, Mississippi.
Descendant Joe Weir opened the program, thanking contributors who made the marker possible, and discussing the process of acquiring the plaque, working with Bill Thompson from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. The Weir home is the oldest building in town, and is on the National Register of Historic Places, one of only three Choctaw County buildings on the Register.
Rev. Fred Davenport spoke to the crowd of more than thirty people, before offering a prayer for the occasion. Next on the program was Lee James, Mayor of Weir, who spoke of the town’s history and the importance of the Weir family.
Following Mayor James was Bo Weir, another descendant, who discussed Colonel Weir’s family, as well as his military record, and the importance of the Weir family in founding the Town of Weir, and establishing homes and churches here.
The program was closed by Joe Weir, again thanking everyone for attending on a day when the weather was so questionable. Everyone was then invited into the home for a dessert buffet, where conversations about the town, the home, and Col. Weir’s family continued.